Registration Renewal Now Open
Each year occupational therapists must renew their registration with the College to practice in BC and use the reserved title “Occupational Therapist” or “OT”. Registration with the College re-assures the public that you hold the qualifications to provide safe, ethical, and effective care. It also ensures you get timely updates from COTBC regarding new regulatory resources and legislative changes affecting practice.
The registration year runs from July 1 to June 30.
You must renew by June 30, 2023 to avoid late fees or cancellation of your registration. Check that your email address is up to date in your registrant profile so you don’t miss critical information and deadlines.
Online Renewal Instructions
1. Complete the Annual Continuing Competence Review (ACCR).
All registrants who will be renewing under the full or provisional categories must complete the ACCR to finalize their registration renewal, except those that registered on or after May 1, 2023. Please refer to the email sent to you on May 15, 2023, containing a link to the ACCR. You do not have to complete the ACCR before initiating your registration renewal. You do have to complete the ACCR before June 30 for your renewal to be complete.
2. Click ‘Renew Now’ below or go to www.cotbc.org and click on Registrant Login.
- Enter your User ID. It is the email address COTBC has on file, not your registration number.
- Enter your password. For those who have renewed before, your password is the same as last year. If it is your first time renewing, click ‘forgot your password’, follow the prompts, and a password will be emailed to you.
If you can’t remember your password, use the ‘forgot your password’ feature.
- You may encounter a second security feature to ‘Verify your Browser for Alinity’.
- Check your email inbox for a code to enter for verification. Please check your spam and junk folder if you do not see it in your inbox.
- If you have difficulties logging in, try clearing your browser history or changing browsers. You may also try launching the Incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N in Google Chrome) or Private Browsing Window (Ctrl+Shift+N in Microsoft Edge) and entering the renewal login link in the browser window.
3. Follow the prompts to update your registrant profile.
- Questions? Read our Registration Renewal FAQs.
- Employment Information – This information is required even if you are moving to non-practicing or cancelling your registration to ensure your record is up to date. If you are moving to non-practicing or cancelling your registration, please provide an end date for your current employment.
- If you hold private, professional liability insurance (i.e., not insurance through your employer/health authority), be prepared to submit information on your policy provider and policy number.
4. Complete the renewal form.
If you are renewing in the provisional or provisional re-entry category, follow the prompts to confirm supervision remains in place.
5. Once you submit your renewal form, you may expect one of the following:
- You will be taken immediately to the payment page OR
- Your renewal form will be forwarded to Registration for review. Staff may be in touch via email. Once the form is approved, you will receive an email to take you to the payment page.
6. After your ACCR is complete and payment has been received, renewal is complete, and you can access your permit and tax receipt through your registrant login home page.
Leaving the Profession?
If you wish to cancel your registration, you can do so during renewal. Select “Former” as the category and follow the instructions. Please provide an end date for your employment.
Tips for Success
- It takes time to complete the renewal, and your form may be subject to review. Give yourself plenty of time and avoid renewing last minute.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Have your login information ready. Check the email address you use to log in, especially if you have more than one or recently changed your email address.
- Have access to your email account so you can receive your code for two-factor authentication. If you are being asked to ‘verify your browser for Alinity’, wait for the code to arrive in your email; if you click the ‘send new code’ button, a new code will be generated, and you will need to wait for that new code.
- Do not use Internet Explorer (instead, use Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
- Credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) are accepted for payment; debit cards are not accepted. You may also choose to pay by cheque.
- Problems? Try clearing your browser history, switching to another browser or device, or opening the incognito tab.
- Questions? Refer to our Registration Renewal FAQs. If you have ongoing difficulty, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free in BC at 1 (866) 386-6822. Victoria-area registrants are asked to use (250) 386-6822.
Cancellation of Registration for Failure to Renew
In accordance with COTBC’s Bylaws, you must renew your registration by June 30.
Your registration will be cancelled effective July 1 if any of the following are not completed by June 30:
- Online Renewal Form
- Payment of annual registration
- Completion of the ACCR
Once your registration is cancelled:
- You will not be able to practice occupational therapy (work) in BC or use the title occupational therapist
- You must apply for and successfully be reinstated prior to returning to practice (work)
- You will be charged a late fee of $183.75 (35% of your registration fee)
Registration Renewal Fees
|Registration Category||Renewal Fee|
|Provisional, Provisional Re-entry||$525|
We accept VISA and MasterCard. You may also choose to pay by cheque if necessary. Please contact the office for details.
If you have questions, check out our Registration Renewal FAQs. If you have ongoing difficulty, the Registration Team will gladly assist you. Please email email@example.com or call us toll-free in BC at 1 (866) 386-6822. Victoria-area registrants are asked to use (250) 386-6822.