Registration Renewal Now Open
Each year registrants must renew their registration to practice occupational therapy in BC. As a registered occupational therapist, you re-assure the public that you hold the qualifications to provide safe, ethical, and effective care. Registration also ensures you will get timely updates from the College about new regulatory resources and legislative changes affecting practice.
The registration year runs from July 1 to June 30.
You must renew by June 30, 2021 to avoid late fees or cancellation of your registration. Check that your email address is up to date in your registrant profile, so you don’t miss critical information and deadlines.
New for the 2021-2022 Registration Year
Two Factor Authentication
COTBC is introducing two factor authentication as an added layer of security to protect your personal information. This means if you sign in using a different device than the first time you logged in, you may be asked to enter a verification code sent to your email address on file with the College.
Provisional and Provisional Re-entry Registrants Can Now Also Renew Online
Previously, OTs renewing in the provisional or provisional re-entry categories had to renew using paper forms. This year, if you are a provisional OT, you can renew online. You will be asked to upload confirmation that your employment supervision is still in place. You will be guided to print a copy of your current Employer Acknowledgement Form (available on your Member Profile), and if there are no changes, initial it, and re-upload it to the system.
If you are renewing in the full practising category, changing your registration status to non-practising, or are re-instating your registration, you can continue to do this online. If you wish to cancel your registration, you can also do this online. Select “Former” as the category and follow the instructions. Please provide an end date for your employment.
Voluntary Self-Identification of Indigenous Registered Occupational Therapists
As brought into disturbing focus by the recent report titled In Plain Sight: Addressing Indigenous Specific Racism and Discrimination in B.C. Health Care (2020), there continues to be widespread systemic racism against Indigenous Peoples in the BC health care system and that “this stereotyping, discrimination, and prejudice results in a range of negative impacts, harm, and even death.” (2020, p. 2)
COTBC is one of 22 BC health professions who have pledged their commitment to making our health system more culturally safe for Indigenous Peoples. As part of meeting this commitment, the College wants to gather information to better understand its registrant base. Anonymized information may be shared in aggregate form with stakeholders such as the First Nations Health Authority, the Ministry of Health, universities, associations, and others to inform program development and initiatives. COTBC may also use this information to review our own processes and programs to better meet the unique needs of Indigenous Peoples, including occupational therapists in BC. For those occupational therapists that do self-identify as Indigenous, the College wants to ask if you would be interested in being contacted by the College regarding opportunities to provide your input and perspectives on regulatory issues.
To assist in gathering this information, you will have the option of answering question(s) on your registration renewal application. Answering these questions is optional and will not affect the outcome of the application for renewal in any way.
Online Renewal Instructions
1. Complete the Annual Continuing Competence Review (ACCR).
All registrants who will be renewing under the full of provisional categories are required to complete the ACCR to finalize their registration, except for those that registered on or after May 1, 2021. Check your inbox for an email sent to you on May 3, 2021 containing a link to the ACCR. Note that you do not have to complete the ACCR prior to initiating your registration renewal.
2. Click ‘Renew Now’ below or go to www.cotbc.org and click on Registrant Login.
- Enter your User ID. It is the email address the College has on file, not your registration number.
- Enter your password. For those who have renewed before, your password is the same as last year. If it is your first time renewing, click on ‘forgot your password’, follow the prompts, and a password will be emailed to you.
- If you can’t remember your password, use the ‘forgot your password’ feature.
- You may encounter a second security feature to ‘Verify your Browser for Alinity’.
- Check your email inbox for a code to enter for verification. If you do not see it in your inbox, please check your spam and junk folder.
3. Follow the prompts to update your registrant profile.
- Questions? Read our Registration Renewal FAQs.
- Employment information is required even if you are moving to non-practising or cancelling your registration. Include details regarding your current employer(s). If you are moving to non-practising or cancelling your registration, please provide an end date for your current employment.
- If you hold private professional liability insurance (i.e., not insurance through your employer/health authority), be prepared to submit information on your policy provider and policy number.
4. Complete the renewal form.
If you are renewing in the provisional or provisional re-entry category, follow the prompts to confirm supervision remains in place.
5. Once you submit your renewal form, you may expect one of the following:
- You will be taken immediately to the payment page OR
- Your renewal form will be forwarded to the Registration Team for review. Staff may be in touch via email. Once the form is approved, you will receive an email that will take you to the payment page.
6. After your ACCR is complete and payment has been received, renewal is complete, and you will be able to access your permit and tax receipt through your registrant login home page.
Leaving the Profession?
If you wish to cancel your registration, you will be able to do so during renewal. Select “Former” as the category and follow the instructions. Please to provide an end date for your employment.
Tips for Success
- It takes time to complete the renewal and your form may be subject to review. Give yourself plenty of time and avoid renewing last minute.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Have your login information ready. Check the email address you are using to log in, especially if you have more than one email address or recently changed your email address.
- Have access to your email account so that you can receive your code for two factor authentication. If you are being asked to ‘verify your browser for Alinity’, wait for the code to arrive in your email; if you click the ‘send new code’ button, a new code will be generated, and you will need to wait for that new code.
- Do not use Internet Explorer (instead use Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari).
- Credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) are accepted for payment; debit cards are not. You may also choose to pay by cheque.
- Problems? Try clearing the browser history or switching to another browser or device.
- Questions? Refer to our Registration Renewal FAQs. If you have ongoing difficulty, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free in BC at 1 (866) 386-6822. Victoria-area registrants are asked to use (250) 386-6822.
Cancellation of Registration for Failure to Renew
In accordance with COTBC’s Bylaws you must renew your registration by June 30.
Your registration will be cancelled effective July 1 if any of the following are not completed by June 30:
- Online Renewal Form
- Payment of annual registration Fee
Once your registration is cancelled:
- You will not be able to practice occupational therapy (work) in BC or use the title occupational therapist
- You must apply for, and successfully be reinstated, prior to returning to practice (work)
- You will be charged a late fee of $183.75 (35% of your registration fee)
Registration Renewal Fees
|Registration Category||Renewal Fee|
|Provisional, Provisional Re-entry||$525|
We accept VISA and MasterCard. You may also choose to pay by cheque if necessary. Please contact the office for details.
Need more information? Review our registration renewal information on the website including the Registration Renewal FAQs. If you can’t find your answer, please contact us; the Registration team will be glad to assist you. Email email@example.com or call us toll free in BC at 1 (866) 386-6822. Victoria-area registrants are asked to call (250) 386-6822.