Last Update: July 7, 2022
The College closely monitors relevant regulatory considerations associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. To support you, we have been publishing information on our website and social media channels as quickly as we can.
Registrants are advised to monitor this page, as well as the Office of the Provincial Health Officer, BC Centre for Disease Control, the Government of BC’s COVID-19 response, and local health authority websites for up-to-date information.
As the province moves to regional restrictions rather than province-wide ones, registrants will need to ensure they are following infection prevention and control measures applicable to their practice areas. Businesses will need to follow communicable disease prevention guidance, in accordance with WorkSafeBC’s communicable disease information for employers.
As the risk of COVID-19 transmission lessens but remains in our communities, we thank you for adhering to public health directives in providing occupational therapy services to support the residents of BC to stay safe and well.
Current College Updates & Resources
- Guidance from Dr. Bonnie Henry, PHO, regarding Mask Use and Infection Prevention & Control for Health Professionals
- FAQ on the Health Professionals COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information and Preventative Measures Order Dated March 7, 2022
- Next Steps for Complying with March 7, 2022, Public Health Order Requiring Recording of Registrants’ Vaccination Status
- Public Health Order Requires COTBC to Record Vaccination Status of Registrants
- Practice Guidance: Hospital and Community (Health Care and Other Services) COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information and Preventative Measures Order
- COTBC Statement on COVID-19 Misinformation
- Practice Guidance: Telehealth in Occupational Therapy Practice
- COTBC Advisory Statement on B.C. Provincial Health Officer Order SARS-CoV-2 Swabbing
- Public Resource: What can I expect from my Occupational Therapist?
- Practice Guidance: Point of Care Risk Assessment Resource for Occupational Therapists (UPDATED December 23, 2021)
BC Provincial Health Officer Updates
Orders and notices related to COVID-19 from the Provincial Health Officer can be found on the Government of BC’s website. Registrants are advised to read, follow and enact orders and notices related to their applicable practice areas. The following are most relevant to occupational therapy practice:
- Health Professionals COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information – June 10, 2022 (PDF, 489KB)
- PHO Guidance Re: Mask Use and Infection Prevention & Control Guidance for Health Professionals – April 1, 2022 (PDF, 181KB)
- Hospital and Community (Health Care and Other Services) COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information and Preventive Measures – October 14, 2021 (PDF, 539KB)
- Residential Care Staff COVID-19 Preventive Measures PHO Order – October 4, 2021 (PDF, 507KB)
- Face Coverings (COVID-19) – September 28, 2021 (PDF, 308KB)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information and Preventive Measures Order – September 27, 2021 (PDF, 500KB)
- Long-Term Care Facility Staff Assignment – April 15, 2020 (PDF, 274KB)
- Health Authority Regulated Health Professionals SARS-CoV-2 Swabbing – November 16, 2020 (PDF, 225KB)
- Provincial Health Officer Statement for Employers on Transitioning from COVID-19 Safety Plans to Communicable Disease Plans – June 17, 2021 (PDF, 43KB)
Archived College Resources
- August 26, 2021: Practice Guidance: BC’s Restart Plan Step 3
- March 17, 2021: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About BC’s COVID-19 Immunization Plan (UPDATED)
- December 8, 2020: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about BC’s Restart Plan Phase 3 (UPDATED)
- November 20, 2020: COVID-19 Practice Guidance on Province-Wide restrictions: New COVID-19 measures
- November 13, 2020: Clarification of BC Ministry of Health’s Mask Use in Health Care Facilities Policy
- May 25, 2020: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about BC’s Restart Plan Phase 2
- May 22, 2020: Providing in-person community care during COVID-19: Guidance for regulated health-care providers (UPDATED)
- May 12, 2020: BC’s Restart Plan: Phase 2 Guidance in Development
- May 8, 2020: What BC’s Restart Plan Means for Occupational Therapists
- March 23, 2020: Questions and Answers about the Provincial Health Officer’s March 23, 2020
- FAQ on returning to work after travel
- FAQ on whether you should suspend services
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- HealthLink BC
- Infection Prevention and Control Canada
- Government of Canada COVID-19 for Health Professionals
- Provincial COVID-19 Task Force: Ethical Decision Making Framework
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists COVID-19 Resource
- World Health Organization
For up-to-the minute news on COVID-19 follow BCCDC on Twitter.
This webpage was first published on February 21, 2020. We update the time stamp each time we add new information.