If you have been out of practice either as a former registrant or with non-practising registration and wish to reinstate to full registration status with COTBC, please submit the following:
- Completed, signed and dated Reinstatement of Registration 2019-2020 Application Form.
- Verification of your Canadian citizenship (or eligibility to work in Canada).
- Verification of professional liability insurance.
- Registration Reinstatement Fee.
Some applicants may also need to submit:
1. Verification of a criminal record re-check, if your original check has expired.
2. Verification of successful completion of the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam (NOTCE) or proof of registration to write in the next sitting.
3. If you have worked as an Occupational Therapist in any other jurisdiction since your COTBC registration status changed to Non Practicing or Cancelled, please forward a Regulatory History Form(s) / Letter of Good Standing to the regulatory authority in each of the jurisdiction(s) where you are/or were registered to practice. Please make a copy and submit with your reinstatement form.
You may also need to complete a re-entry program.
Applicants who have been out of practice and/or do not meet the practice hour requirement of 600 hours within the last 3 years* are required to complete a re-entry program. These programs differ with each individual and must be approved by the Registration Committee which checks that safeguards are in place to ensure there is no significant risk to public health and safety.
All re-entry programs include a competence confirmation practicum (CCP) where applicants have the opportunity to demonstrate that they meet the professional standards as outlined in the Essential Competencies of Practice for Occupational Therapists in Canada. In your competence confirmation practicum (CCP) you are required to work under the supervision of an occupational therapist with full registration with the College. The required hours of supervised practice are based on the number of years you have been out of practice, as follows:
- Out of practice less than 3 years, with less than 600 hours of practice* = 150 hours in 90 days
- Out of practice between 3 and 5 years = 300 hours in 180 days
- Out of practice between 5 and 10 years = 600 hours in 1 year
- Out of practice for over 10 years = 600 hours in 1 year
Applicants, especially those who have been out of practice for over 10 years, may also be required to participate in additional educational activities and pass the NOTCE.
A package outlining the process for arranging a CCP and all relevant forms is available from the College Staff who can assist you further.
*If you are renewing or reinstating your registration as of June 30, 2018 please review the currency requirements specific to this year only.