Internationally Educated Applicants

Internationally educated occupational therapists looking to register for practice anywhere in Canada (except Quebec) must apply to the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) and proceed through the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS). This includes Canadian citizens educated abroad.

Once you have completed SEAS, follow these steps to register with the College:

  • Request that ACOTRO send your SEAS Certificate of Completion and SEAS Determination Report to COTBC.
  • Notarized ID: All applicants must provide notarized ID as part of their application. Both copies must be verified by a notary public or lawyer with a stamp and/or seal. Primary ID must have your photo and signature, photocopies not notarized will not be accepted. Have your notarized ID ready before starting your application, as it is required in Step 1.
  • Criminal Record Check: All applicants are required to complete a new criminal record check at time of application and every 5 years thereafter. Follow the instructions on the application form to give COTBC consent to initiate the criminal records on your behalf. You will be providing consent for the initial criminal records and the 5 year re-check while you are registered with COTBC. You will be invoiced the $28 fee upon submitting your application.
  • NOTCE Certificate or Confirmation of Registration: Upload a copy of your NOTCE certificate or confirmation of registration that you are sitting the next available exam.
  • Eligibility to work in Canada: Upload a copy of proof you are authorized to work in Canada (i.e. Canadian Passport, Birth Certificate, PR card, Work Visa).
  • Professional Liability Insurance: Upload your current liability insurance if available. If not available email a copy once you receive it to
  • Employer Acknowledgment Form (PDF) – for New Grads or IEOT’s that have not yet written or completed the NOTCE: Once you have secured employment have the form completed and email to For more information on supervision, see Guidelines for General Supervision (PDF).
  • Regulatory History Form (PDF): If you are or have ever been registered in another Province / State or Country, complete the first section of the form and send to all the regulatory organizations you have been licensed with.
  • English Language Proficiency: As an International Educated OT (IEOT), this would have been assessed as part of your SEAS assessment.
  • Currency Hours: Please see Currency Hour Requirements.
  • Complete the online application.

For more information (e.g. fee, etc.) see Applicants – Apply For Registration.

Submit Online Application

Apply Online

Note: Do not use Internet Explorer as it is no longer supported. Use Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, etc.

Email the College at if you need further assistance.