Moving Towards Amalgamation 2024
The Province of British Columbia has passed new legislation to modernize the framework for health profession regulation. The Ministry of Health has proposed amendments to the Health Professions Designation and Amalgamation Regulation that would establish the following:
- The College of Dietitians of BC, College of Occupational Therapists of BC, College of Opticians of BC, College of Optometrists of BC, College of Physical Therapists of BC, College of Psychologists of BC and College of Speech and Hearing Professionals of BC be amalgamated into one college.
- The College of Chiropractors of BC, College of Massage Therapists of BC, College of Naturopathic Physicians of BC and the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncturists of BC be amalgamated into one college.
Creating new colleges was one of the recommendations included in the plan to modernize the health regulatory system released by the BC Government’s Steering Committee on Modernization of Health Professional Regulation on August 27, 2020.
The Ministry of Health will complete the amalgamation by the end of June 2024.
Who Are We Amalgamating With?
COTBC will be amalgamating with the following regulatory colleges:
- College of Dieticians of BC
- College of Opticians BC
- College of Optometrists of BC
- College of Physical Therapists of BC
- College of Psychologists of BC
- College of Speech & Hearing Health Professionals BC
We are collaborating with the other amalgamating colleges to create a roadmap for moving forward and engaging a project team. Updates will be provided as the work progresses.
Examples of other health regulatory college amalgamations that took place include:
- British Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons (2020)
- British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (2020)
- British Columbia College of Oral Health Professionals (2022)