If you will not be working or using title as an occupational therapist after June 30, 2018 then you have the following options:
- Renew in the Full Practicing category. This allows you to return to practice at any time throughout the 2018-2019 registration year. You are still required to meet the currency hours of 600 hours in the past three years.
- Renew in the Non-Practicing category for the 2018-2019 year. You will remain on the mailing list of the College and continue to receive all College mailings.
- Cancel your registration to Former Registrant. You would then be a former registrant in good standing with the College.
If in the future you wish to resume practice or use title as an occupational therapist in BC you must apply to have your registration reinstated. You would need to contact the College and request that Registration Reinstatement information and forms be sent to you. The Registration Committee approves applications for reinstatement.
Your registration with COTBC will expire on June 30, 2018. Your registration is cancelled for non-payment of dues after June 30, 2018.
If you do not pay the annual fee on or before June 30th your registration is cancelled. If you continue to practice as an occupational therapist in BC after July 1st (and do not renew for the 2018-2019 year) you would be practicing without registration.
It is important to note that if you seek registration with another provincial occupational therapy regulatory body, COTBC would provide information indicating your registration expired as of June 30, 2018 because you did not renew your registration for the 2018-2019 year.
No, we do not pro-rate the annual registration fees.
June 30th has always been the deadline. However, with the new College Bylaws, effective October 2, 2017, there is no grace period. June 30, 2018 is the deadline to have all requirements for renewal completed.
- Your registration is cancelled and you cannot work, provide occupational therapy services, or use title.
- In addition to your annual fee of $525.00, you will be charged a late penalty fee of $183.75 (35% of your registration renewal fee).
- You must apply for, and be reinstated prior to returning to work.
No, the fee is the same whether you are working full- or part-time.
It is your registration number.
Your password remains unchanged from last year. If you cannot remember it please click on Forgot Your Password and enter the information and a password will be emailed to you.
No. On your registration form you declare that you have valid professional liability insurance that covers you up to $5 million per occurrence.
No, but it is highly recommended to maintain professional liability insurance. Professional liability insurance policies are “claims made” policies so you need to hold insurance at the time a claim is made. It is important to maintain coverage while on leave or while retired to protect yourself in the event that a complaint is made to the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia or lawsuits are brought forth over situations that may have occurred in the past, when you were practicing.
If you are currently non-practising, moving to non-practising or cancelling your registration, as of July 1, 2018, you do not need to complete the ACCR but you are welcome to do so. If you don’t plan to do the ACCR, email firstname.lastname@example.org, with your intended registration status as of July 1, 2018, and your name will be removed from the reminder list.
Yes. Completing the ACCR is the continuing competence requirement for renewing your registration by June 30. Until your ACCR is done and submitted, your registration cannot be finalized.