In accordance with the Health Professions Act, the College is responsible for delivering a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) that supports and monitors continued competence.
All registered occupational therapists in B.C. must participate in and satisfy the annual requirements of the program.
How the Quality Assurance Program Works
The Quality Assurance Program (QAP) has three elements and is currently under review and development by COTBC’s Quality Assurance Committee.
1. Continuing Competence – Every Year (formerly titled Competence Maintenance)
- Registrants in the practising and provisional registrant categories must complete the Annual Continuing Competence Review (ACCR).
- This is a requirement for annual registration renewal (except for the 2020-21 renewal year, which was deferred related to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Learning modules, case studies and webinars are created as needed to support competencies related to emerging topics and public health priorities.
2. Competence Assessment
- All registrants were required to complete the inaugural Continuing Competence Exam (CCE) in 2016, with the expectation of taking the exam every 6 years. With the QAP under review and anticipated changes to health profession regulation in BC related to the BC Ministry of Health’s modernization of health profession regulation initiative, the CCE scheduled for 2022 has been deferred.
- The Competence Assessment component of the QAP Framework is currently under evaluation and development by the College’s Quality Assurance Committee.
3. Competence Improvement – Only if Needed
- Required for occupational therapists who are unsuccessful in meeting expectations of the Competence Assessment.
- This is a confidential and individualized professional practice improvement plan developed to assist the occupational therapist in improving their competence and meeting professional and practice standards.
Registrants can expect to receive further communications from the College regarding the proposed QAP framework adjustment as decisions are made.