As of May 1, 2023, BC occupational therapists are expected to meet the new Competencies for Occupational Therapists in Canada (COTC). These will replace the Essential Competencies of Practice published in 2011. Like the previous competencies, these reflect a broad range of skills and abilities required of occupational therapists throughout their careers.
The new competencies must be applied and interpreted considering the requirements of the practice context and the client’s particular situation. Two COTBC initiatives will assist BC occupational therapists in understanding how to apply the COTC to their practice:
- A Learning Module – available to registrants in their QAP portals this coming November
- Doing Better Together Team – a group of BC OTs who are planning activities and resources designed to take a closer look at each of the six domains:
- Occupational Therapy Expertise
- Communication and Collaboration
- Culture, Equity and Justice
- Excellence in Practice
- Professional Responsibility
- Engagement with the Profession
Watch for more information in November.
Questions about the new competencies can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.